Friday, September 30, 2011

Comfy Cow



Well it's officially Fall, and even though it's my favorite season, I am feeling a little sad to see the Summer go. It was such a hot one that I often felt it necessary to cool off with a little ice cream indulgence. I discovered The Comfy Cow one weekend night, after I finished getting my weekly fix of Mexican food with my friend, Patrick. He had spoken highly of it a few times and even though I was super full and trying to keep the body swimsuit worthy, I went in for the kill. The line was literally out the door and down the sidewalk! Fortunately, the line moved fast and it was nice to have a little time to let my quesedilla digest. I would normally go straight for anything chocolate, but decided on the interesting flavor of Watermelon Mint. The watermelon was highly refreshing and the mint was subtle. Both of these together added a light amount of lingering sweetness. Patrick enjoyed the Dolce de Leche, one of the Comfy Cow favorites that presents a creamy caramel flavor along with a pinch of seasalt.

It was not very crowded on my second trip here, so I was able to take my time and sample a handful of flavors. I also asked the attendant which flavor she liked best and she did not hesitate to suggest the Dolce de Leche. The Cake Batter Up was a unique palate pleaser that reminded me of the yellow cake you'd relish with a glass of cold milk in grandma's kitchen.  I felt it was too rich for an entire scoop though. I also really enjoyed the Bourbon Ball flavor, as it provided a distinct bourbon flavor that was not too overpowering. However, I ended up ordering a cup of the attendant's second favorite, the Peanut Butter and Chocolate.

(Please take note that if you are with me and I start to order an ice cream cone, you must talk me off the ledge...I can't do cones! It is a long and horrifying story. Let's just say the result will be catastrophic).

Back to my story... If peanut butter and chocolate were to have a love child, it would come out tasting just like this flavor. The peanut butter based cream and thick chunks of rich chocolate, produced a mixture with the best traits from both parents. I would babysit for this child any night of the week and I would probably even let it stay up past it's bedtime.


Visit number three came after a tough workout at the gym. I was ready to get my chocolate on once again. First I sampled a Hazelnut Chocolate, which was good but didn't knock my socks off. I am a fan of hazelnut, especially with chocolate. But the hazelnut flavor in this mixture was a bit weak for my tastebuds. So I moved on to my next sampling selection, the S'more. This one proved to be a winner. I was expecting it to have a chocolately base, but was actually delighted to find the mushy graham cracker stood out, along with chunks of chocolate of course. Unfortunately there was only a little bit of marshmallow goodness. The more ewey, gooey marshmallow, the better right? Overall, I was happy with my choice and would gladly ask for S'more!

The Comfy Cow's micro creamery has developed around 70 different flavors including the "Signature" options and others that are rotated throughout the year. They are also well known for their amazing array of specialty sundaes and ice cream pies, whose cookie crusts are made from scratch. Yum, yum. This local biz currently has two locations, in the east end at Westport Village and near the University of Louisville at Cardinal Towne. And I don't want to get too excited, but I have heard a buzz that there might be a store opening in my neck of the woods, off Frankfort Avenue. I truly appreciate that there is a "Foodie Flavor" featured every week and I am hoping to return soon to sample some Fall flavored creations.

The next time you want to indulge and cool off with an ice cream, don't hesitate to ask me to join you at the Comfy Cow. Just remember, I don't do cones. Don't even mention them around me. But on a lighter note, live to eat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment